Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Reader Needs Advice on Access Group Loan Repayment Options

I'm putting this on our front page because many of our readers are in the same situation and would like advice on where to go from here or how long they can defer their loans while planning their escape, etc. I do not know a lot about loan repayment options except that I consolidated all of my federal student loans and am under the Income Based Repayment (IBR) program. I think that is the best plan for most of our readers. As for how long you can defer your private loans, one reader said you can defer for unemployment 3 years or apply for economic hardship. Does anyone else have a better suggestion? Please share.

So, that's it then. I don't know if this will interest anyone, but my forbearance with Access Group is up. Now, I guess what can be done is that you can get an extra 6-months, in a kind of forbearance appeals process, by jumping through any number of hoops, including providing a detailed breakdown of your income and expenses, a copy of your most recent W-2 and 1040 tax return, a list of federal loans in deferment or forbearance and (most important of all, she says) a letter detailing the "concrete events" would allow you to begin repayment.

If you have any suggestions for what I might include in this letter I'm going to send to Access Group, I would welcome any and all suggestions. In fact, if you want to write the letter for me, I would be pleased to have some valuable career counseling (for once in my life). If not, well, then I guess I'll have to reach deep into my well of sarcasm and double-speak.

Foreign lands, here I come!

7 comments:

  1. Better to live debt-free and happy abroad than deeply-in-debt and unhappy here in America.

    Just pack your bags, grab your passport, and GO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be sure to include the fact that Matasar is a criminal for his conflict of interest in running a law school, while standing at the helm of this corrupt organization.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They can't get blood from a stone, it's just going to wreck your credit rating, that's all. And who cares? Do you really want to take on more debt anyway?

    I have a friend who has gone another route and just keeps getting degrees and adding to the debt - you get an automatic deferral if you're in a degree program

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enroll half-time (two classes) at a community college for an in-school deferment with minimal work (do a little something here and there...but you don't even need to pass the classes...just need to stay enrolled) - there's a couple in New Mexico and Oregon that have classes online and for about $500 per semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will be unable to place any private loans on forbearance if you have used 12 months (across the LIFE of the loan). Access group also will likely not allow you to return to school with a deferment if you have been out of school for more than 30 months - I recently discovered this the hard way).

    ReplyDelete
  6. The private loans aren't in forbearance, they're in deferment. And I wasn't gone from school long enough to know anything about that Access Group policy, though my Access Group loan is the only one I'm paying since it was my bar loan and not technically a student loan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you think they can't do anything more than wreck your credit, you'd better do more research. They have garnishment powers similar to the IRS if they win a default judgment against you.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Image by Arpi